Projects per year
Domain experts prefer interactive and targeted control-point tone mapping operations (TMOs) to enhance underwater image quality and feature visibility; though this comes at the expense of time and training. In this paper, we provide end-users with a simpler and faster interactive tone-mapping approach. This is built upon Weibull Tone Mapping (WTM) theory; introduced in previous work as a preferred tool to describe and improve domain expert TMOs. We allow end-users to easily shape brightness distributions according to the Weibull distribution, using two parameter sliders which modify the distribution peak and spread. Our experiments showed that 10 domain experts found the two-slider Weibull manipulation sufficed to make a desired adjustment in >80% of images in a large dataset. For the remaining ∼20%, observers opted for a control-point TMO which can, broadly, encompass many global tone mapping algorithms. Importantly, 91% of these control-point TMOs can actually be visually well-approximated by our Weibull slider manipulation, despite users not identifying slider parameters themselves. Our work stresses the benefit of the Weibull distribution and significance of image purpose in underwater image enhancement.
|Publication status||Published - Apr 2023|
- underwater image enhancement
- tone mapping
- histogram specification
- Weibull distribution
- 1 Active
Established Career Fellowship
Finlayson, G. & Trollope, P.
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
1/09/19 → 30/06/25
Chromatic Weibull Tone Mapping for Underwater Image EnhancementGame, C. A., Thompson, M. B. & Finlayson, G. D., 19 Oct 2021, Proceedings of the International Colour Association Congress. p. 239-244 6 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contributionOpen AccessFile
Weibull Tone Mapping for Underwater ImageryGame, C. A., Thompson, M. B. & Finlayson, G. D., 1 Nov 2020, p. 156-161. 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)12 Downloads (Pure)