Projects per year
I study the politics that arise when attempts are made to govern environmental problems using the tools and methods of public policy. I have examined how these different forms of politics have played out in relation to the use of policy instruments, policy coordination across sectors, policy innovation and policy dismantling. I undertake comparative work on these topics in policy areas such as climate change and sustainable development. I am particularly interested in governing processes that occur in the European Union, its Member States and third countries outside of Europe.
I have published many papers and books on these themes, including The Tools of Policy Formulation (Edward Elgar, 2015, with John Turnpenny) and Durable by Design? (CUP, 2020, with Brendan Moore). Between 2014 and 2018 I was the Chair of COST Action IS1309 (Innovations in Climate Governance -INOGOV, 2014-8), a 28 country network of excellence.
In the past, I have taken on leadership roles in many large national and EU-funded projects, and produced work for a number of knowledge users including the OECD, the UK Cabinet Office, the UK environment ministry (DEFRA), UK Foresight, the European Commission, the Dutch Environment Ministry, WWF and the RSPB. In 2015-16 I served as a specialist advisor to the UK Parliamentary environmental audit committee for its inquiry on the EU referendum. In 2016-20, I served on the Scientific Committee of the European Environment Agency.
I currently sit on DEFRA's Science Advisory Council: Social Science Expert Group (2018- ) and the editorial boards of three international academic journals - West European Politics, Policy Sciences and Environmental Politics.
In 2008 I was elected a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS) and in 2017 I was identified as a Web of Science Highly Cited Researcher, one of only 180 social scientists in the world.
I am currently working on three main things:
- Climate Change Policy and Politics post Paris: a large, five year ERC Advanced Grant project 'DeepDCarb' - Deep Decarbonisation: the Democratic Challenge of Navigating Governance Traps.
- The ESRC Centre for Climate Change and Social Transformations, specifically co-leading Theme 2 (Learning)
- Brexit and the Environment - an award winning ESRC funded academic network which seeks to understand what challenges and opportunities Brexit raises for environmental policy.
Tyndall - https://www.tyndall.ac.uk/people/andrew-jordan
Google scholar - http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=C1TMreMAAAAJ&hl=en
Researchgate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrew_Jordan
Prizes and fellowships
Australian National University (2005-6); University of Queensland, Brisbane (2012)
Philip Leverhulme Prize fellowship (2003-6)
Leverhulme Trust Major Research Fellowship (2010-3)
Contemporary European Studies Association, annual best book prize (2007)
Harold D. Lasswell Prize for the best ariticle in Policy Sciences (2011)
Lloyds Science of Risk prize for Climate Change research (2012)
Insight of the Year - 2017 ENDS Environmental Impact Awards (for work on the EU Referendum)
Web of Science, Highly Cited Researcher – ranking in the top 1% by citations for field and publication year – one of only 180 social scientists in the world (2017).
ERC Advanced Grant (DeepDCarb) (2021-2026)
Fellow of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (FIEMA) (2018-)
Research Group Membership
Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Environmental politics and policy making; public policy; climate change; governance; policy coordination; policy appraisal; sustainable development .
- Jordan, A.J. and J. Turnpenny (eds) (2015) The Tools of Policy Formulation: Actors, Capacities, Venues and Effects. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham. ISBN 9781783477036. Open Access
- Jordan, A.J., D. Huitema, H. van Asselt and J. Forster (eds) (2018) The Governance of Climate Change: Polycentricity in Action? Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. Open Access. ISBN: 9781108418126.
- Jordan, A.J. and B. Moore (2020) Durable by Design? Policy Feedback in A Changing Climate. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. i-xv+ 244 pp +Index. ISBN: 978-1-108-49001-6
- Jordan, A.J. and V. Gravey (ed.) (2021) Environmental Policy in the European Union: Contexts, Actors and Policy Dynamics (4e). Routledge: London.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
I warmly welcome email enquiries from potential PhD students.
I am particularly keen to recruit people to work on the politics and policy of climate change, but will seriously consider applicants wanting to work on one of my other areas of interest. I will help you secure funding from the ESRC (UEA is a partner in the SeNSS DTP) and/or help with applications for external funding - recent PhD students have been funded by Commonwealth University fellowships, the Ford Foundation and studentships from their home countries.
My former PhD students are now forging their own independent careers inter alia at:
- University of Exeter (David Benson, Prof Duncan Russel)
- University of Pretoria (Camilla Adelle)
- Queens University Belfast (Viviane Gravey)
- University of Darmstadt (Jonas Schoenefeld)
- Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH) (Juliette Young)
- University of Sussex (Michelle Twena)
- UK local government (Kate Urwin)
- Free University Brussels (Brendan Moore)
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/03/21 → 28/02/26
Feasibility of Afforestation and Biomass energy with carbon capture storage for Greenhouse Gas Removal (FAB GGR)
Vaughan, N., Bateman, I., Binner, A., Chilvers, J., Day, B., Forster, J., Friedlingstein, P., Gilbert, P., Gough, C., Harper, A., Hastings, A., Jordan, A., Lenton, T., Lorenzoni, I., Rayner, T. & Roeder, M.
1/05/17 → 30/09/22
1/09/18 → 31/08/21
Divergence, Dismantling and Contestation: Brexit and the Repoliticisation of UK Environmental Governance
Burns, C., Jordan, A., Carter, N., Cowell, R., Gravey, V. & Reid, C.
1/04/17 → 31/03/19
Jordan, A., 9 Jun 2021, In : Journal of European Public Policy. 28, 7, p. 959-979 21 p., 1.
Research output: Contribution to journal › EditorialOpen Access8 Citations (Scopus)
Dudley, H., Jordan, A. & Lorenzoni, I., 25 Mar 2021, In : ScienceBrief.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review articleOpen AccessFile9 Downloads (Pure)
Jordan, A. J., 6 Sep 2021, In : The International Spectator. 56, 3, p. 24-40 17 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)
Waller, L., Rayner, T., Chilvers, J., Gough, C., Lorenzoni, I., Jordan, A. & Vaughan, N., Jul 2020, In : Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change. 11, 4, e649.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile8 Citations (Scopus)32 Downloads (Pure)
Disaggregating the dependent variable in policy feedback research: An analysis of the EU Emissions Trading SystemMoore, B. & Jordan, A., Jun 2020, In : Policy Sciences. 53, 2, p. 291–307 17 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile4 Citations (Scopus)17 Downloads (Pure)